Sunday, December 30, 2007

Something which pisses me off!!



Back in India we always thought about Americans to be jingoists; that they are over possessive and too proud with ostentatious love for America. But when i came to New York, I wish if we Indians could take just 10% of the jingoism from the Americans, India could really churn out some very good leaders and citizens. I have had some personal experiences when I was annoyed at the other person(my fellow Indian) for being too impassive towards India.
One very banal statement that we tend to hear from an Indian is, "Kya diya hai india ne?"(What has India given to me?) What was more distressing was to hear this from an IITian.

I had the Indian National Flag on my wall when i was in India, and i have it here as well.
But i was really annoyed when someone from my visiting friends just giggled at the site of it, as if it was something alien to us. Like it was something very very out of ordinary. And the reason for this post is that i witnessed this "foolish giggle" again today; right here in America and again by an Indian guy. Now tell me...what the fuck is wrong with the flag...is the color combination absurd? i don't think so......that's just the case with the National Flag. Some patriotic Indian song just turns off people. Why is that so? I have never understood the reason. But i don't know what to feel for such Indians. People who cannot celebrate being Indian. People who sham their identity.

A person who tries to show his/her love for India through some quotes in his Orkut/Facebook or Gmail profile, is mocked at. "yeh to fuddu hai" is a comment on him.... and i feel guilty that i am not able to stand up to this self centered Indian mocking at a fellow countryman.
I have not done anything great in my life....but still i feel that we should be atleast more compassionate towards our country and respect the sentiments that others have towards India.

If you feel that India has not given you anything, then please introspect and tell what have you given to India?
There is something more to be an Indian than simply cheering for the Indian Cricket Team!
If you cannot respect your land, then you can't respect yourself.

3 comments:

Preet said...

so true bro !! jus so true...dats wat d indian youth is good at !!jus blabberin endlessly, abt deir own self !! neither can dey do anythin concrete fr deir nation..neither wud dey encourage others, who're tryin to !!
n dthing abt puttin d fla in ur room is realli impressive! i mean, i never even thought abt it!! nw i'll also fr sure ..put one in my room! so dat everytime i step inside my room..n look towards d flag, i knw i've gt duties to be fulfilled twards my nation also ! wud atleast make me feel more responsible :)
thnx!! gr888 post !!

Anonymous said...

YES! I've been thru this. I had a wallpaper of Indian map in my cellphone before and my white frnds were like.. woah, thats beast! and the Indian buddies were like... oh come on.. put something else. But yea, what u said is right. I actually have an Indian map and flag in my collage which is pasted on my wall. So that counts. :)

Deepa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.